Having watched District home and condo prices explode and then swoon, my partner and I have decided to leave the security of our home's affordable lease and venture into the wilds of the DC housing market.
We looked at one condo, two homes, and two townhouses this weekend. Having sold real estate in New Orleans and owned two homes in the past, I had an idea of what to expect re: the buying experience. Yet the questions still come up when looking at a home:
- What were they thinking of when they did that?
- Do they really think this place is worth that much?
- Don't you think there's a little too much pink carpet / wallpaper here?
- Why don't they just come out and call this a tear down?
- Why is the stairway in the middle of the room?
- Why is the HOA so high?
And of course, the classic: Why are we doing this to ourselves?
Given the price range we can afford and our desire not to buy a condo [not that there's anything wrong with them], this may be a long hunt.